The power of Light can be used to disinfect, heal, rejuvenate, and renew in many ways. At TKDDS, we are in tune with the incredible opportunities different wavelengths of light provide for oral health and healing. Let’s briefly review how laser use is integrated into our wellness procedures at TKDDS.
Diode Laser Therapies
- Laser Bacterial Reduction (LBR): The mouth (like the gut) is populated with beneficial (good) and pathogenic (bad) bacteria. During a dental cleaning, there is opportunity for pathogenic bacteria to enter the bloodstream and travel to vulnerable structures/organs within the body activating an immune response. With LBR, the majority of the pathogenic bacteria is eliminated, greatly reducing immune system strain, and making the cleaning safer from a whole-body perspective. LBR can benefit anyone, takes 3-5 minutes to complete, and can be performed at any regular dental cleaning appointment.
- Laser Assisted Periodontal Therapy (LAPT): LAPT is used in the presence of Periodontal Disease along with scaling and root planning procedures. The laser is focused into infected periodontal tissue pockets, eliminating pathogenic bacteria and removing dead tissue. LAPT leaves healthy tissues intact, promotes periodontal tissue pocket reduction and re-attachment of loose periodontal tissues, reduction in post-operative pain, and faster healing time. We have seen LAPT eliminate the need for periodontal surgery and/or antibiotic use in many patients. LAPT takes about 15 minutes per quadrant and can be done several times throughout the course of periodontal treatment.
- Myalgia (muscle) and TMJ Pain Management Treatments: A specific setting on the laser can be used to reduce swelling and inflammation in the muscles that support the jaw as well as the jaw joint itself. The procedure is painless, takes 2-5 minutes, and can reduce the painful symptoms associated with inflammation immediately.
- Laser Tooth Whitening: An in-office tooth whitening procedure is greatly enhanced when used in conjunction with laser activation. Laser tooth whitening yields fast tooth shade changes with reduced tooth sensitivity.
- Cold and Canker Sore Treatments: laser therapy has antimicrobial properties which can deactivate viral infections like oral herpes. The laser therapy also assists in reducing inflammation, pain, and healing time for most oral lesions.
Infrared Laser Therapies
- Bacterial Disinfection: During your dental restorative procedures, the infrared laser is used to disinfect the tooth surface before any dental restoration is placed. This simple laser treatment which takes 20 seconds greatly enhances the longevity of the dental restoration as well as reducing post-operative sensitivity in the tooth/teeth.
- Wound Healing: A simple 1-minute laser treatment after a tooth has been removed or any other oral surgical procedure has been completed can significantly reduce bruising, infection, swelling, pain, and healing time.
- Myalgia (muscle) and TMJ Pain Management Treatments: The infrared laser can also be used to reduce swelling and inflammation in the muscles that support the jaw as well as the jaw joint itself. The procedure is painless, takes 2-5 minutes, and can reduce the painful symptoms associated with inflammation immediately.
Lasers are invaluable tools at TKDDS. The proper use of laser treatment during your dental cleanings and dental procedures promotes precision dental medicine as laser treatment is less invasive, more localized, and leads to faster healing time with less discomfort. Ask us how YOU might benefit from a laser treatment at your next cleaning appointment, we look forward to seeing you soon!