Root Canal Therapy (RCT)
– Involves removing the nerve, blood vessels, and lymph tissue from within the tooth and then sealing the empty chamber
– The integrity of the tooth structure is usually compromised therefore, a crown is typically placed over the remaining tooth structure
– Root Canal Therapy (RCT) is recognized by the American Dental Association to be the conventional standard of care for a dead or dying tooth.
– It is estimated that 14 million root canals are performed every year by general dentists and Endodontic Specialists
– The infected tooth s removed
– Dr. Kaur and Dr. Petersen also recommend having the periodontal ligament removed and treatment with ozone after the tooth is removed
– Once the extraction site is healed, tooth replacement (removable partial denture, bridge, dental implant) can begin
A holistic approach to dentistry avoids root canals whenever possible. Although a healthy diet, wellness lifestyle, and strong immune system may allow you to tolerate a root canal tooth, this tooth represents a possible stress on the immune system which can manifest in many unhealthy ways throughout the body. If a root canal is the only treatment available to save a tooth, Dr. Kaur and Dr. Petersen will provide education in relation to what a root canal is, the possible consequences of living with a root canal tooth, and alternatives to root canal.